Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Oreo Cupy-cakes

Yet again, I am on a baking kick and I wanted to make these totally yummy cupy-cakes…thanks to Homemade by Holman yet again for the recipe.


Sunday night was Hell Week Breakout for the BUDS students that D works and trains with. BUDS students are Navy SEAL students in just their 4th week of 1 ½ year long training. So they still have a very long road ahead of them and more than likely 90% won’t make it. That is just how it is.

But I digress….since it was Breakout and I had never been I wanted to go with D and see what it was all about. I knew the fellas would be hungry and instead of having D take the cupy-cakes in the next morning, I decided to take them in with me that night so I could see their faces when I walked in…I practically got attacked at the door!!!

We took about 1 ½ dozen with us last night and at least ½ were gone by the time we left…and we were only in the shop for about 2 hours total. I guess they really liked them!

They even have a yummy double stuff Oreo in the bottom!!!

Oreo Cupy-Cakes

Cake:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 2/3 cups sugar
3 large egg whites
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
36 Oreo cookies

Get your oven toasty at 350. Get 2 muffin pans lined with your papers and seperate 24 Oreo cookies. Place 1/2 Oreo, creme side up in each cup. Add the other halves to the remaining Oreos in either your food processor or ziploc bag to crush them up. I used a ziploc and just crushed them in my hands. Easy and less mess to clean up. Make sure you get a good amount or different sized cookie chunks...not all crumbs but not all huge either.

Now in a mixing bowl, combine butter and sugar and beat on medium for 2 to 3 minuts until light a fluffy! Agg egg whites one at a time and mix well after each addition. Next, sift togheter your flour, salt and powder. Add milk and vanilla together in a measuring cup and gently mix.

With mixer on lower speed, add 1/3 of your flour mixture alternated by 1/2 of your milk mixture, mixing well after each addition. Repeat and end with flour. After that it is time to mix in your Oreo cookie chunks!

Now you can fill each cup 2/3 full. I again used my Pampered Chef medium scoop and it was perfect. Bake 18 to 20 minutes until tops are gold and toothpicks come out clean when inserted into the cupy-cake. Cool completely before frosting.

Frosting:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
1 T vanilla extract
2 T heavy cream
1 lb powdered sugar
24 Oreos for garnish

Beat butter and cream cheese in a medium bowl on medium speed until it is smooth and creamy. Add vanilla and cream and beat until well incorporated. Now comes the fun part of the powdered sugar. I sifted mine before adding because I find it is so much smoother and creamier, but to each his own. Add your sugar 1 cup at a time and mix well after each addition.

Fill piping bad and decorate!

I used yummy double stuff Oreos in the bottom and mini bite size Oreos on top of the cream cheese frosting.

The only suggestion that I have after making them would be to used slightly more powdered sugar that called for, just to make it thicker, Pam the papers cups, and not cook them quite as long. The recipe called for 18 to 20 minutes and I did right at 18 and I think I probably could have done about 15 or 16.…maybe. They were a little too toasty for me.

Really fabulous other wise.

I even managed to save a few to keep at the house for D and I to enjoy.



1 comment: