Friday, April 9, 2010

101 in 1001 update!

I added 2 new books to my library. Finished them both this week too! The first book I finished this week was just okay. I don't know if I would recommend it.



It was called The Breach by Patrick Lee. The back of the book made it cound pretty cool...this is what is on the back of the book, but pulled from Amazon:



Lee's debut thriller pits ex-con ex-cop Travis Chase against increasingly dire odds as the action ratchets up like levels in a complex video game. Fresh out of prison, Travis sets out on a solo Alaskan trek, wanting nothing more than quiet time for introspection. Then he encounters a downed plane containing the dead bodies of the United States's first lady and several others, plus hints about a mysterious missing item. Armed with superior firepower and the instincts and savvy of a good cop, Travis tracks down the murderers, who are torturing hostage Paige Campbell to get her father, Peter, to reveal another clue. Travis manages to rescue Paige just as Peter confesses the information and is killed. His last words send Paige and Travis into a dangerous world of secrets and conspiracies, where they slowly learn about the eponymous Breach and meet progressively more menacing foes. It's all here: brilliantly devious enemies; nifty, innovative gadgets and weaponry; hang-on-to-your-hat action; and razor-sharp plot twists aplenty.



Had I known it was more of a sci-fi book, I probably would have strayed from it. Not really my type of read and it was a little hard for me to imagin some of the stuff the author wrote about.



Now on to book 2 for this week. I would absolutely recommend this as a read. I am a bit partial because it is a Navy SEAL book, but it was amazing and a true story. It is called Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell with Patrick Robinson. A...MAZ...ING! It is the single largest loss of SEAL life lost in the history of the organization, begining I believe when Kennedy was president.



Here is the premise of the book, again thanks to Amazon:



In June of 2005, Luttrell led a four-man team of Navy SEALs into the mountains of Afghanistan on a mission to kill a Taliban leader thought to be allied with Osama bin Laden. On foot, the team encountered two adult men and a teenage boy. A debate broke out as to whether the SEALs should summarily execute the trio to keep them from alerting the Taliban. Luttrell himself was called upon to make the decision. He was torn between considerations of morality and his survival instinct, and he points out that "any government that thinks war is somehow fair and subject to rules like a baseball game probably should not get into one. Because nothing's fair in war, and occasionally the wrong people do get killed." Luttrell opted to spare the Afghanis' lives. About an hour later, the Taliban launched an attack that claimed nearly a hundred of their own men but also the lives of all the SEALs except Luttrell, who was left wounded. Not long after that, the Taliban shot down an American rescue helicopter, killing all 16 men on board. Luttrell is sure that the three Afghanis he let go turned around and betrayed the SEALs. But if nothing is fair in war, neither is anything foreordained. Luttrell was found by other Afghanis, one of whom claimed to be his village's doctor. Once again, Luttrell had to rely on his instincts. "There was something about him," Luttrell writes. "By now I'd seen a whole lot of Taliban warriors, and he looked nothing like any of them. There was no arrogance, no hatred in his eyes." Luttrell trusted the man and his colleagues, who took him back to their village, where the law of hospitality -- "strictly nonnegotiable" -- took hold. "They were committed to defend me against the Taliban," Luttrell writes, "until there was no one left alive." The law held, and Luttrell survived, returned home and received the Navy Cross for combat heroism from President Bush.



Obviously I am a big military supporter as well as a Navy supporter. D is working with the BUD/S students right now and he is hoping that it help him get his foot in the door to getting in a BUD/S class so he can be a SEAL.



So obvisouly, I knew what the book was about. The author is the only survivor from a high risk mission in the Afghanistan mountains, and it takes you on his journet of survival as well as his journey through boot camp, BUD/S training and his family's journey for the 7 days he was declared dead/MIA. I tell you what though, when his last buddy died, I just couldn't hold back the tears. It absolutely broke my heart to hear what PO Luttrell went through.



This book totally sucked me in and D can't wait to read it. It was a book he brought back with him from his deployment in Africa. He found it in the armory he was working in and they were going to throw it away. Well D wouldn't have any of that because he had heard about the story of the team and it was a nice looking book. So started to read it and couldn't put it down.



I cried several times during the story and I kept thinking about my friends over there and when D was over there. It really puts into perspective what the military personell go through and how much we are actually hated half way across the world. It blows my mind how twisted their world is and how easily these people can be manipulated into wanting to kill any and all Americans without any regard to their own lives.



When I finished it I told D that I couldn't wait for him to become a SEAL. I know D has what it takes and he has wanted it for so long. He is so stubborn and bull-headed, that I know in my heart he will have no problem getting through all thr training required of him.



So that is my wrap up of my 2 new books added to my library. The first one was just eh, ok...but the second one was a total hit! I am sure I will be reading it again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment