Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Time to update!!

Time to update my 101 in 1001....it's been a while I know! But let me just say I haven't had too much to write about other than updating my library. I added 2 new books, working on a third and I just ordered about 10 from Amazon. Other than that, the whole 101 thing has been pretty lax...

So on to my first book. Look Again is a really great book by Lisa Scottoline. It is about a single mom raising a little boy whom she adopted in as far as she knows a completely legal transaction. She is a very successful journalist, but finds herself in a rather alarming predicament when she gets one of those, "Have you see this child" white postcards in the mail. She thinks at first glance it is her son and can't get the image out of her head. There are stunning similarities, but convinces herself it can't be the same child because of the different birthdays, which are only a few days apart, and the fact that she had an all around legal adoption.

Well the journalistic side of her get the better of her and she starts to dig into her adoption of her son and finds much more than she bargains for. It was such a good book and it makes you ask yourself, what would you do in these circumstances? Would you forget it ever happened or would you need to know to do the right thing. I definitely didn't see the end coming, but it was really great!!

The second add to my library is a book called Nineteen Minutes, by Jodi Picoult. It is another really good book and makes you think about how far you wold go to protect your child. And what lengths you would go to let your child learn to "get thicker skin". It is set in a small town in New England, where everybody knows everybody. This small town is rocked by a major act of violence and tears the town apart. You start to realize with all the flashbacks, just where the story is going and why it is going in that direction. You see how interconnected people's lives are and what impact a few words can have on a person's life.

I am definitely glad I read it. I was not expecting what the story line at all. I assumed there was another sort of crisis in the small town due to the fact that in the summary of the book from the back cover doesn't go into much detail, but I think it is a must read. It has made me realize that when I have children, that I want them to be raised in a very specific manner and if I were to ever catch any of my children acting in any of these ways it would just break my heart.

Next update...D was OOT for most of the month, so date night was pretty hard. We spent our 9 year anniversary apart. No big deal since we spend most of the apart anyways. But when I went to visit him while he was OOT, we went to Sonic late one night. It was a blast. Nothing fancy...just s country boy and a city girl driving on some country high way to get a late night snack. We had one of those really fun, giggly talks that I love having. He had just picked me up from our hotel, and I was in my PJs with wet hair and he was in a dirty set of camo pants and a t-shirt smelling like gun metal and sweat. Oh the things that make my heart melt!!

But it was about a thirty minute drive from the hotel into town for some Sonic, but it was really great. I thought it was a perfect date night. I hope we will be having more of them like that. I like not getting all dolled up and we can just be us...you know it was really great.

Luckily D comes home tomorrow night and I will get him all to myself for a whole week before he leaves again for another three. Then after that Vegas again, and Oklahoma home for two weeks after that! I am just so dang excited!!! I miss home.

And yet another update...I am almost finished with the blanket for my friend that is deploying this summer...I think I have about 3 more balls of yarn to add and then the fringe on two of the ends!! Yea!!! I will post pics when I finish!

No comments:

Post a Comment